Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yet Another Extraordinary Correspondence

Several months back I posted about a series of books I had read called “The Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin and Sabine”. Then I went on to include a correspondence I received by email from Mr. Zhang Furang. You can read the following correspondences here. The Extraordinary Correspondence of Gladys and Furang and In Which Furang Has Gone on the Lamb.

The other day in my thirst for reading I picked up this book “The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” written by Mary Ann Sheffer and Annie Barrows. It is a collection of letters between a writer and a group of people on the island of Gurnsey after World War II. It is really a lovely, funny book and it got me to thinking. Would I ever correspond with a complete stranger? Would I spend 44 cents on a stamp after having sat down and penned a missive to an unknown inquiry. Then I remembered that I am a blogger and I pretty much do that every day. Then it happened. My opportunity arose and I felt compelled to do as Juliet does in the book and respond to this person in need. The following is the dispatch I received and my reply. Do you think I should turn my correspondence into a book?


Dearest Gladys,
Although you might be apprehensive about my email as we have not met before, my name is Song Li. I work with the Hang Seng Bank. There is the sum of $19,500,000.00 in my bank "Hang Seng Bank", Hong Kong. There were no beneficiaries stated concerning these funds which mean no one would ever come forward to claim it. That is why I ask that we work together so as to have the sun transferred out of my bank into your account.

Note that all is well planned as we shall do this online with all legal and banking requirements. All I need from you is your willingness, trust and commitment. I want you to know that I have had everything planned out so that we shall come out successful. I will notify you on the full transaction on receipt of your response if interested, and I shall send you the details and necessary procedures with which to make the transfer. Please endeavor to observe utmost discretion in all matters concerning this issue. Once the funds have been transferred to your nominated bank account we shall then share in the ratio of 70% for me, 30% for you. Should you be interested please send me your:- Full names;Private phone number; current residential address.

Your earliest response to this letter will be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Song Li

Dearest Song Li,
I am ever so happy you found me. I was corresponding with a Mr. Farung who was in a similar quandary. Perhaps you know him? It sounds to me as if you are positioned to perhaps become the beneficiary of a large sum of money. How wonderful for you. What ever will you do with all that good fortune?
Tell me how long have you been at the Hong Song Bank in Hong Kong? Do you enjoy it? I once worked in a bank but never become party to such a large some of money. What is Hong Kong like? I do hope your weather is much more amiable than ours.
I am afraid I can not supply you with a private residence address or a phone number at this time as I am currently without a home. Unfortunately with the closing of so many of our local banks and the cut back at many of our factories I have been without work for sometime now. Oh but don’t feel too bad for me. I manage. You would be surprised at the perfectly edible tidbits that are tossed into the garbage. The hardest thing would be finding a place to lay my head to sleep. The beaches are beautiful here but the Rangers make you leave at 10 p.m. I do get plenty of exercise by walking through the golden glow of the street lamps until dawn.
Perhaps I should come to Hong Kong. Is your bank hiring? Please let me know as soon as possible if I should purchase passage to your lovely island. I believe there is a street corner that will be opening for panhandling within the next several days and if I can obtain a three legged dog I might be able to raise the funds quickly.
Once again thank you for your letter and kind thoughts.
Sincerely
Your New Found Friend
Gladys McGuilicutty.

6 comments:

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Wow, Gladys, you're going to be on TV? Details, please!

kippy said...

Now that really was a hoot.

Anonymous said...

I loved this one too...

"lovely island..."

lol!!!!

Gladys said...

Couture - Yes I will be on TeeVee on Friday morning. Local news thing for an essay I wrote.

Georgie -Thanks I always knew I had an owl deep down inside.

MTAE- What you mean Hong Kong isn't a lovely little isle?

Christina-Marie Wright said...

I'm not sure why poverty is such a problem in the world. Today's inbox contains missives from six different countries, declaring the availability of well over a billion dollars, cumulatively.

There's good news for me, too, as I may already be a winner in Ireland's national lottery - the ticket for which, I am sure, I must have purchased during a financial planning session involving copious amounts of Irish whiskey.

Christina-Marie Wright said...

P.S. - Sorry to hear about your current state of nonresidence. Perhaps there is a 24-hour megamart where you might "test" the furniture on a nightly basis?