Saturday, May 28, 2011

I AM And So Are You

Kahuna had been after me for weeks. “Oh come on, you know you want to. I promise you’ll like it” he would cajole. I would shrug and reply “maybe.”


He persisted day after day, week after week until I finally gave in. I stripped off my yoga pants and stood in there in my nothingness looking at him with the disgusted look of a woman who was being made to remove her favorite sweats, kick off her favorite slippers and put on real clothes to go out into public.

I donned my “mom” jeans and slipped on a sweater and fluffed my hair. Kahuna grabbed my hand and drug me to the car. We were off in a run to L.A. We drove up the freeway talking about our destination. What did it mean, what was it about?

We arrived at the theater, paid our matinee senior citizen discounted fare and stumbled through the dim theater to a couple of seats in the middle, not too close where our necks would break but close enough we could see without straining.

The film Kahuna had been itching to see was “I Am” by Tom Shaydac. Don’t know who he is? Ever heard of the movie “Ace Ventura” or “Liar, Liar”? How about “Evan Almighty” or “The Nutty Professor”? Yeah, that guy, but not that kind of movie. Just so you know, if you don’t know who he is don’t feel bad neither did Bishop Desmond Tutu.


Mr. Shaydac had an accident which resulted in a concussion that caused him chronic and intense pain. It was through his feeling of helplessness and hopelessness that he found a new passion. He had a moment of clarity. He grabbed a 4 man crew and set out on a mission to research and document this epiphany. He meets and interviews a variety of remarkable people including scientist, philosophers academics, and men of faith such as David Suzuki, Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Lynne McTaggart, Ray Anderson, John Francis, Coleman Barks, and Marc Ian Barasch. Shaydac asks these great thinkers the question what is wrong with this world and what can we do about it.

The result is a life-affirming film that challenges our preconceptions about science, religion, spirituality and the irrepressible human spirit. It reminds us that what we do not only effects us but everyone. It tells us that we are truly not alone.

I am so glad that I shucked off my yoga togs and donned my city clothes. I highly recommend this film for anyone who asks themselves the hard questions. “When you ask what is wrong with this world, the answer is I AM”.











No comments: