Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Books, I Love Books

Books, I Love Books


I love to read. I have always loved to read. I would rather sit under a tree and read than climb that tree. I keep a book with me all of the time. When I’m waiting in line at the bank, the doctor, the laundry, the drive-thru coffee wherever I try to keep at least one book with me. I know your probably thinking does she ever shut up long enough to read? What can I say, I’m a multi-tasker and no I don’t shut up, I just read and talk at the same time. Really I am a huge blabbermouth. Yes, I’m the crazy lady at the cyber coffee shop snorting my venti double shot extra hot double cupped skinny vanilla latte out of my nose, talking to myself while reading books with titles like “Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me?” by Jen Lancaster.
I will read just about any kind of book. I’m not real fond of technical writing. Like right now I’m trying to read through a book on Photoshop and honestly I’d rather stick toothpicks under my fingernails. I mean I start reading and all of a sudden I start thinking about how I want to write to you guys. For some reason when it comes to technical manuals, I develop a sudden and acute case of ADD. I do enjoy a good story though. Self-help and spiritual guidance books seem to flow a little bit better for me.

I come by my reading from my daddy. When we were young’ns my Dad would sit down and read out of the encyclopedia. He could be found on hot summer afternoons, on the couch in the living-room, that none of us kids were allowed to go into because it had white carpet and a white couch, reading. Oh come on you know you had one of “those” rooms in your house. It was all decorated up and the only time you were allowed to go into it was to dust and vacuum. It was called the “living room” but the only time it got used was when “company” came a calling. Back to my Dad reading in the forbidden room, his taste ran toward World War II history and historical novels mixed with a touch of Zane Grey and some Elmer Kelton. We didn’t have much money back in those days so I read what he read. It didn’t matter that I didn’t know what half the words meant. I just kept reading and looking in our old Webster’s to find the meanings. Hey give me a break I was 8.

As I got older I developed my own sense of literature. I tend to be obsessive when it comes to reading. I discover a new to me author and I have to read everything they have written. Then I’m disappointed because I have to wait until they write the next book. When I discovered Stephen King, I read everything he had written and then read everything his wife wrote. I did the same with Fannie Flag and Janet Evanovich and one of my favorites Larry McMurtry.

I love the feel, smell and weight of a book, which is why I’m not sure that I like the new device that has been touted as the new way to read a book. It’s a Kindle. You can see a video about it here http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device

The way I understand it you can download a bunch of books into one device and carry it with you. The problem I have with this is it doesn’t smell like a book. I like turning the pages and feeling the paper between my fingers. Ok the truth is I’m getting “old lady eyes” The font on the Kindle would have to be set to super huge and then I would only be able to fit half a book on it. So I would totally be wasting the $400.00.

The whole reason for this post was so I could share my reading list site with you. I know there is a place for books at the bottom of this page but honestly it’s just not enough. I read over 300 books last year. If I listed them all here I wouldn’t have room to keep writing. So if you go to www.goodreads.com you can start your own list and you can research books. It really is a great site and you can even order books off of Amazon.com and half.com right from the site.
PS Daddy you can click on those sites in blue and it will take you to the web site. Oh and Daddy, thank you for setting such a good example with the reading and all. Oh and Daddy, I love you and miss you. Oh and Daddy, I made the font bigger on this part because you have "old man eyes".

No comments: